Apple crumble is one of those comfort desserts that makes you feel warm and fuzzy, particularly on a cold winter evening.
I’ve had a craving for apple crumble for a while now, and I have finally got around to making my own recipe. I wanted it to have those same qualities as a traditional apple crumble: a layer of tender, sweet apples and a thick golden crumble topping with oaty clumps that taste like buttery cookies.
And this Vegan Apple Crumble ticks all these boxes — but without the need for butter, white flour or refined white sugar.
On the afternoon I made this apple crumble, it disappeared within hours. I made it again the following afternoon and again, it was gone by the next morning.
It’s sweet but not sickly sweet, wonderfully golden and crumbly, the apples tender but not mushy. Apple Crumble is a nostalgic dessert for many, as I’m sure we all have fond memories of the sweet smell of apple, cinnamon and oats filling the house as it bakes.
If you’ve ever felt intimidated by making apple crumble like me, don’t fret because this recipe is incredibly simple to make and very fool proof. The ingredient list isn’t too long and the recipe takes less than an hour in total to make.
So if you’re feeling like a hearty, warming dessert (or breakfast, why not?), I hope you try this Vegan Apple Crumble. It’s a crowd pleaser!
- 4 medium granny smith apples, peeled and cut into slices
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup water water
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp rice malt syrup
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F.
- In a pot on low-medium heat, place the sliced apples together with the coconut sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract, lemon juice and water. Stew the apples until all the liquid has evaporated (around 15 minutes). The apples should be tender but still hold their shape.
- While the apples are stewing, combine the rolled oats, almond flour, cinnamon, coconut oil, rice malt syrup and salt in a mixing bowl using your hands, until the mixture become crumbly.
- Now place the stewed apples on the bottom of your pie dish. Layer the crumble mixture over the top, spreading it evenly over the apples.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes – until the crumble is lovely and golden.
- Allow the apple crumble to cool for 25 minutes before serving up with some coconut yogurt or vegan ice cream.