For so long I’ve been trying to make simple yet successful vegan pancakes that are super easy to make, delicious and don’t fall to pieces.
Turns out I was overcomplicating them: I tried mixing two or three types of flour, making flax & chia eggs, adding vinegar to make ‘buttermilk’, and overloading the mixture with baking powder & bicarb soda. And every time the pancakes would fall apart when it came to the make-or-break flip.
So finally I tried again using just the basics — flour and liquid. And instead of painstakingly processing my oats to a flour or using several bowls, I simply placed the rolled oats and rice milk into my blender, along with the vanilla extract, and blended away.
Feeling completely skeptical, I added the thick mixture to a non-stick pan (crucial!) and by some miracle, the pancakes worked! Vegan, easy-to-make 3 ingredient pancakes that flip perfectly and are beautifully golden and fluffy? Yes. I know.
Since then, I’ve made these pancakes a dozen times, and it’s about time I share the recipe with you. This idea of 3-ingredient pancakes isn’t as innovative as I had originally thought, but it’s novel to me!
This recipe is what I turn to for easy, delicious vegan pancakes and I think you’ll feel the same way.
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup plant-based milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- oil for cooking (coconut oil or rice bran oil)
- Preheat your oven to 50 degrees C. This is so you have a place to keep your pancakes warm until you've finished cooking the whole batch.
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until the pancake batter is thick and smooth.
- Heat a non-stick frypan on medium heat. (The pancake batter will thicken up slightly as you wait for the pan to heat up.)
- Put some oil on a paper towel and lightly coat the pan with oil, being careful not to burn yourself.
- Once the pan is heated, pour about 2 tablespoons of the mixture onto the pan and cook until bubbles have formed on the top.
- Now flip the pancake and cook on the other side for a further 30 seconds.
- Pop the pancake in the oven and repea until you have completed cooking all your pancakes.
- Serve with your favourite toppings, such as maple syrup, fresh fruit, nut butter, raw chocolate sauce, etc.